Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The miso soup for a rainy day


First day of summer coincides with Jeffrey's birthday and although he did not let me throw a party to celebrate his "advanced" age, I could not let him get away without celebrating and remembering this day. So, for the first time ever I went out of my European cuisine comfort zone and cooked my hubby a batch of delicious shiitake mushroom miso soup. How appropriate on this cool, rainy day... Did I mention it was the first day of summer today???
After searching for the perfect recipe I decided to use Tyler Florence's one - I know, I know, he's not of Asian descent, but the recipe sounded pretty yummy and uncomplicated to me.
The soup turned out pretty awesome, especially for a Polish girl who first heard of miso only a couple of years ago. I modified the recipe a bit; since I could not find pieces of dried kelp I used ground kelp (thank you Amazing Grains grocery store!) and since nobody seems to carry bonito flakes I added a little bit more miso paste. I had fun working with baby bok choy, not knowing what to do with it and lacking detailed instructions in the recipe prompted me to research it online, after which I just... chopped it up and added it to the soup. It worked out quite well!
Also, fresh shiitake mushrooms were on sale and I used a small batch in addition to dried shiitake.

No comments:

Post a Comment