Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The cake


One of the dessert staples at my childhood home was the famous apple cake. Not just any apple cake, but the one made by my mom, often present in the house for any and every occasion. So simple, yet delicious.
Since I like to change things up a bit I often make it with fruit other than apples. Peaches, strawberries, blueberries... any berries will do! It makes a fantastic, fluffy and summery cake. If I make it in winter I stick with the apples, add cinnamon and the smell itself just creates the atmosphere of Christmas.

Apple Cake
1c sugar
3 eggs
Mix those two ingredients. Add:
1.5c flour
1tsp vanilla
2 sticks of non-salted and softened butter
1 tsp baking soda
fruit
Pour the batter in the pan. Place peeled and halved apples (about 4) on top of the cake. Bake about 40 minutes at 350F. If I use fruit other than apples I just mix it in the batter. I often sprinkle with powdered sugar once the cake has cooled off.

The batter is light and fluffy and so if the cake. Now, go lick your spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment