Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fish the Scandinavian way

You probably thought I was making Lutefisk! Truly, I don't think I have the stomach for that... Instead, Chef Jeff proposed we try preserving fish in a authentically natural way and make our own lox. He made sure we had a fresh salmon fillet and covered it with a mix of sugar and salt 1:1 ratio. You can use whatever spices you desire on the fillet itself before you preserve it, he opted to cover it with fresh ground black pepper.
Yes, this is a lot of salt and sugar, but rest assured none of it actually makes it to your plate. When you unwrap the fillet it needs to be rinsed off of the natural preservatives. We let the fillet sit in the fridge, covered in salt and sugar and wrapped tight in plastic wrap for 24 hours. After that, Jeff sliced it really thin while I was salivating. Bagel and capers are common companions to lox, but since I am not a die hard bagel fan, we chose Tuscan bread and dressed the sandwich up with thinly sliced red onions. Now, that's what I call a perfect Sunday lunch!

1 comment: