Sunday, February 13, 2011

The most expensive spice in the world

Certainly not the golden flakes in the Goldschlager! It is of course saffron, which is derived from a crocus flower. Ancient Persians bathed in saffron infused water to cure their battle wounds, but I found a better way to spice up my life!
For an early Valentine Day's dinner chef Jeff once again put my cooking abilities to shame and made a wonderful mussel bisque followed by mussels in white wine. Both were delicious, but if i had to choose my favorite it would hands down be the bisque. Difficult to believe that the only spices in it were salt, pepper and of course the saffron!
The recipe for the wonderful bisque came from Ina Garten's cookbook Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? I highly recommend it, as it was relatively easy to make!
To clean the mussels immerse them in water with flour.
Mussels in white wine sauce, courtesy of Ina Garten aka Barefoot Contessa. This recipe is available online.

1 comment:

  1. Anna- I love Saffron. There is a place near here that is called "Saffron," and that is where we went for Valentines day. They have amazing food from everywhere there! I got lamb kabobs!! Looks like you have an amazing chef at home. Glad you guys have so much fun with food! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete