Sunday, July 31, 2011

Como se dice

Being European, I haven't been exposed to Mexican cuisine until I arrived in the US and had my very first burrito at the Minnesota State Fair. This southern food did not spark my interest until college, though, when I came across every barbecue gathering's staple - chips, salsa and guacamole. Although most people buy the salsa and guac from their grocery store, there is so much more flavor when you just make it yourself. And it's so easy!
Traditionally salsa that we eat at gatherings should be called pico de gallo, as salsa just means "sauce", whereas pico de gallo implies that it is a sauce made of fresh ingredients (not cooked). Chop up a few tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Add chopped hot peppers - I used banana pepper. Salt and black pepper and voila - take out those tortilla chips from the pantry and start munching!
Traditional Mexican guacamole is made of mashed up avocados, chopped tomato and onion, lime juice and salt and pepper. You don't need a recipe, just make it the way it feels right to you.
And trust me, it is way better than the store bough version. Just look at how happy Sam looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment