Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Leek Technique

My mom cooks with leeks (Allium ampeloprasum var. porrum, Latin) quite often, and I think that it is an under-appreciated vegetable. So when leeks are in season I try to make not only my mom's leek and apple salad, but also a delicious Julia Child's Potage Parmentier, or leek potato soup.
The Leek Salad
  • 3 leeks - thinly sliced only the white and the white-greenish part
  • 1 apple - grate on the thick part of the grater
  • Dressing - 1 teaspoon lemon + 1 tablespoon mayo + 1 tablespoon plain or Greek yogurt + salt and sugar to taste.
Combine the simple ingredients and enjoy! Since leek comes from the onion and garlic vegetable family you may notice that the flavor is quite sharp, but I am sure you can handle it! A wonderful variation would also be adding blue cheese for a salad with real character or Camembert for a milder version.
Potage Parmentier
  • 1 lb potatoes - peeled and dices. I don't always peel them; it adds nice coloring.
  • 3 cups leeks - thinly sliced the white and white-greenish part
  • 2 quarts water - I used some or all chicken stock instead. It adds more flavor.
Simmer vegetables about an hour. What you do next is up to you - mashing it, blending with cream or yogurt, adding chives or parsley. Can't go wrong either way!

No comments:

Post a Comment