Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Barszcz, not Borscht!

Any respectable Polish person will tell you there is no "t" in the name of this soup ;)
The other weekend Lacey, Megan and I went to a wonderful little bakery downtown that also makes soups for lunch. They are all homemade and as far as I know organic! Also, their ingredients are locally grown. I decided to have this beet wonder for lunch, and although it was not the "real borszcz", as the one you may see in the picture, I was pleasantly surprised! The soup was full of vegetables and even had beef in it, something new for me when it comes to borszcz.
I do have to mention, that the borszcz featured on the picture was one of the best I have ever had, in a Lithuanian restaurant in Poland called "Krasowianka". The color of the soup is deep red and either "uszka", or tiny dumplings filled with meat or mushrooms may find their way into the bowl. Usually found on the Christmas Eve dinner table, this wonderful soup also warms my heart during long winters here, in the north! Another favorite is Flaki, or intestine soup (yes I said intestine), but that's a story for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment